Sunday 18 February 2007

Some Tips

Just some tips I would like to pass on. Buy fresh. I'm as guilty as most by buying ingredients from the supermarket as, yes, it is convenient. But I've found that buying fresh from farmer's markets or fruit and veg shops or butchers makes such a difference to your enjoyment of food.

I find that fruit and veg shops and butchers and the like are more sparsely spread around due to the fact that supermarkets are so dominant these days. But if you can buy fresh as the quality of ingredients is far superior to that of supermarkets.

Fruit and veg shops I find are much cheaper than supermarkets and you also get more for your money. Butchers tend to be slightly more expensive but the quality of meat is much better, although I find lamb to be much cheaper than supermarkets. Another source of quality ingredients is farmers markets. I go to one in Partick which is on every second Saturday and at these you can get all sorts of home grown produce, fresh meats and lovely big eggs. You can also get some of the more unusual foods as well. Such as ostrich meat!

As I said I'm as guilty as most for shopping at the supermarket, purely because it is convenient, but when I have time I go to proper butchers and fruit and veg shops. Try it and see :)

No comments: